Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blog #1: Research Proposal

For my research paper I am considering writing a new paper that is based on some of the topics, literature, and issues that will be discussed in my ENG225 course (African American literature). So, far in class we have learned about the Ancient African kingdoms of Mali (Timbuktu), Ghana, and Songhai. These great empires flourished in western Africa from the 8th to the 17th century, and were thriving trading, cultural, and educational centers. In addition, one the world’s oldest universities is found in Timbuktu.

Contrary to the horrific poverty, famine, and disease afflicting many African nations today, I was astounded to learn of the existence of these educationally and culturally rich African kingdoms. Then, I began to question why aren’t we taught about this in middle school or high school? Why isn’t this information in our history textbooks? And what else about the contributions of Africa and its descendants is left out of primary and secondary education? I wonder, if more African American children were taught about the remarkable and rich culture they have and can be proud of, would this have a positive impact on the performance rate of African Americans.

The following are possible topics for research: 1. Origins of African American History, 2. The Dehumanization of African Americans, 3. “African American History” Why not American History?, or 4. The Domestication of the African. To begin my research I will be using electronic resources such as Wikipedia and Google as starter sources to obtain general information about one of these topics and from there I will seek out additional literature that will support my thesis. Some scholary works that may be useful for my research are, The African Origin of Civilization, by Cheikh Anta, The History of the Negro Race in America, by George Washington Williams, and Stolen Legacy by George James. These works discuss the ancient African influence on Western civilization.

In addition, I could also use my English textbook, The Norton Anthology of African American Literature. This book contains literature from  some of histories remarkable African American writers such as David Walker, Phyllis Wheately, W.E.B. Dubois, and Amiri Baraka, and is a good reference resource for students, and teachers.

I am looking forward to learning more about the origins of African American history and culture. For many of us, we don’t know much about our history before slavery, which is appalling. I believe that this could be a great paper and it will allow me to obtain a better understanding about myself and the culture in which I was born out of. This is why I personally would like to explore one or more of these topics in-depth.  





6 comments:

  1. Hey Shereen,

    I really like your topic for the research paper. I am all for African-American culture its such a beautiful thing and I agree that people should be aware of our history and be proud of it. Can't wait to read your final paper and learn more about the left out pieces of African-American culture that was never discussed. Good Luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are doing research on African -American history, great topic.. I believe we need as much knowlege about other cultures as possible so that we can better understand and appreciate one another.I also have always thought that schools should teach children about different cultures in the world so that their minds can be open to a wide variety of views. so good luck with your paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the good old Norton Anthology. I have one but for English Literature. Does yours weigh about ten pounds too? If you do decide to incorporate African literature—I think it would be intriguing to read about how history, geographical location, religion, culture, etc. influenced the authors and pieces you’ve read. It seems you are very passionate about African history so you’re paper will probably reflect this. I’m sure it will be very interesting. Best of luck with your research and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shereen,

    I think your research paper topic is very interesting. I think that you should defenitely narrow the topic because African American culture is such a broad topic. I would suggest that you focus on a specific time period before slavery. Maybe you should focus on the The Dehumanization of African Americans and the specific time period that it took most effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shereen!
    Great topic! Definitely check out Fort Mose in St. Augustine, Florida. It was a refuge for Africans and African-Americans during the first years after the abolition of slavery.
    Good luck on your research!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - As we discussed, I know you will be narrowing this down.

    ReplyDelete